Thanks for joining me on my book tour! I’m Quinn Anderson, author of the Murmur Inc. series, and I’m here to share some inside information about On Solid Ground, coming out New Year’s Day, 2018. Stay tuned to hear about the inspiration for this novel, get some fun facts, and learn more about the characters. Leave comments on the tour posts for a chance to win a $10 Riptide Publishing gift card!
Here are five behind-the-scenes facts about ON SOLID GROUND!
- The hardest part about writing this novel was not constantly making puns about my main character’s name: Chance. It didn’t occur to me that his name would be funny in the context of a disaster story until after I’d started writing. I allowed myself one pun about taking chances in the whole book. I think I showed remarkable self-restraint!
- There’s an off-screen character name Nadia who is married to Marci, Chance’s work BFF. There’s very little information about her in the book, but I actually did come up with several character ideas for her. She’s Persian, in her early forties, Muslim, and she and Marci have been married for fifteen years.
- Kit—the second main character and love interest—is modeled after a man I worked with at my last office job. I don’t want to be inappropriate, but . . . I’m going to be anyway. He was HOT. Tall, broad, and the man could fill out a suit like you wouldn’t believe. Personality-wise, Kit is nothing like him, but I think you’ll all appreciate the way he’s described in the book, tee hee.
- Another pun I included in the book is the name of Kit’s cat. The joke is never directly explained, but at one point, it’s revealed that his cat is ginger, and then later Kit says that her name is Snap. Get it? Gingersnap? I’ll show myself out.
- There’s a drinking game in this novel that I highly suggest you NEVER try to play in person. It’s called Two Truths and a Lie. You name two things that are true about you and one lie, and people have to guess which one’s the lie. It sounds simple enough, but as someone who’s played this game, trust me: it’s way too confusing. Especially when alcohol is involved. It worked out on paper in this book, but if you’re sitting around with friends, it’s too much information to keep track of. Though if you do give it a try, let me know how it goes!
About On Solid Ground
Chance Crawford and Kit Gibbons are on the cusp of an epic office romance. After months of saying hi in the elevator and making small talk at parties, they’re both dying to make a move. Too bad neither of them can work up the courage. Nerdy, risk-averse Chance is waiting for Kit to give him a sign, whereas Kit’s too afraid of being out in his professional life to date the cutie from IT. If only one of them could find the proper motivation, their shaky flirtation could become something real.
Then an earthquake rocks their city. They band together to help others escape, until an aftershock leaves them trapped in a collapsing office building with little hope of survival. The very earthquake that brought them together could also tear them apart.
Drunk on fear and adrenaline, passions run high, but how can they think about romance when any minute could be their last? They’ll have to face danger, themselves, and each other before they can get back on solid ground.
About Quinn Anderson
Quinn Anderson is an alumna of the University of Dublin in Ireland and has a master’s degree in psychology. She wrote her dissertation on sexuality in popular literature and continues to explore evolving themes in erotica in her professional life.
A nerd extraordinaire, she was raised on an unhealthy diet of video games, anime, pop culture, and comics from infancy. Her girlfriend swears her sense of humor is just one big Joss Whedon reference. She stays true to her nerd roots in writing and in life, and frequently draws inspiration from her many fandoms, which include Yuri on Ice, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Buffy, and more. Growing up, while most of her friends were fighting evil by moonlight, Anderson was kamehameha-ing her way through all the shounen anime she could get her hands on. You will often find her interacting with fellow fans online and offline via conventions and Tumblr, and she is happy to talk about anything from nerd life to writing tips. She has attended conventions on three separate continents and now considers herself a career geek. She advises anyone who attends pop culture events in the UK to watch out for Weeping Angels, as they are everywhere. If you’re at an event, and you see a 6’2” redhead wandering around with a vague look on her face, that’s probably her.
Her favorite authors include J.K. Rowling, Gail Carson Levine, Libba Bray, and Tamora Pierce. When she’s not writing, she enjoys traveling, cooking, spending too much time on the internet, playing fetch with her cat, screwing the rules, watching Markiplier play games she’s too scared to play herself, and catching ’em all.
Connect with Quinn:
To celebrate the release of On Solid Ground, one lucky winner will receive STUFF! Leave a comment with your contact info to enter the contest. Entries close at midnight, Eastern time, on January 6, 2018. Contest is NOT restricted to U.S. entries. Thanks for following the tour, and don’t forget to leave your contact info!